Monthly Archives: September 2009
Comments Off on FREE Membership Opportunity ENDS this Wednesday.
The Friends of White Flint Board of Directors voted to waive FoWF membership fees for residents and community associations for the recent White Flint Town Hall, but only through September 30. On October 1, membership fees will apply again.
So, if you want to take advantage of the free FoWF memberships for residents and community organizations, do so by Wednesday of this week.… Read More
Comments Off on Better Pictures from Town Hall
Some better (clearer) pictures from the White Flint Town Hall:
(Photos courtesy U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission)
Barnaby Zall… Read More
Comments Off on How Should the White Flint Sector Plan be Improved?
How would YOU improve the White Flint Sector Plan? There’s a general consensus on the elements of the Plan: walkable, sustainable, transit-oriented. (Not coincidentally, those are the goals of Friends of White Flint as well.) You can get a copy of the Plan at: www.tinyurl.com/WhiteFlintSectorPlan.
But there are those, including both supporters and opponents, who say the Plan can be improved.… Read More
Comments Off on FLOG Readership Soars
If you look back a couple of months, you’ll see that we were happy when the FLOG and other Friends of White Flint electronic publications had 300 readers. Just a couple of weeks ago, we had 1,350 readers, which we thought was quite a lot.
Last Thursday, we had 1,603 readers across our web publications.… Read More
Comments Off on How will the new White Flint pay for the costs to accommodate new students?
The Sector Plan proposes 12,020 new residential units including those that have already been approved. Assuming 25% of these units will be low-rise 4 story multifamily buildings and the remaining 75% will be high-rise multifamily buildings, the following is the calculation of school impact fees. $10,431 in impact fees per low-rise multifamily unit multiplied by 25% of the 12,020 units equals $31.3 million in impact fees.… Read More
Comments Off on White Flint Town Hall
More than 120 White Flint residents turned out to hear Montgomery County Planning Board Chairman Royce Hanson and former Vice-Chair John Robinson discuss and answer questions about the White Flint Sector Plan at Wednesday’s White Flint Town Hall. The session went for two hours, and much of the audience stayed throughout.… Read More
Comments Off on Council Hears From Everyone on Growth Policy
The Montgomery County Council usually warns participants that it rarely hears more than 30 people during a public hearing, but last night’s public hearing on the 2009-2011 Annual Growth Policy featured almost 50 speakers, and they all were heard respectfully and fully.
Here the Council listens to Jim Humphries of the Montgomery Civic Federation (flowered shirt) say that the Annual Growth Policy, which measures the amount of traffic going through intersections, was not an appropriate measure for the County to use to address carbon emissions.… Read More
Comments Off on Reminder: White Flint Town Hall Tomorrow
It’s a busy time for the White Flint Sector Plan. Lots of meetings. County Council hearings in October. On Friday, former Gov. Parris Glendening, now with Smart Growth America, and U.S. Environmental Protection Agency senior policy analyst John Thomas, with County Councilmember Roger Berliner moderating, discussing “smart growth” and the White Flint Plan.… Read More
Comments Off on Fall Photo Essay Ideas?
As long-time readers know, the Friends of White Flint website changes themes with the seasons, and one of the biggest changes are the photo essays on the home and White Flint pages: flowers in the spring, farmers markets in the summer.
So, what should we showcase about White Flint in the fall?… Read More
Comments Off on FoWF Statement on Annual Growth Policy
Every two years, Montgomery County considers whether its public facilities are “adequate” to support the planned growth in the county. This is the Annual Growth Policy process, and the County Council will hear public comments on the 2009-2011 AGP tomorrow night.
The AGP has become a sort of proxy fight over the White Flint Sector Plan, as some persons who oppose some or all of the White Flint Sector Plan testified to the Planning Board during its AGP hearings.… Read More