In our last weekly email, we asked members to share what’s important to them in the redevelopment of White Flint and, therefore, where FoWF should aim its focus. We were thrilled by the response! Here are some of the points raised:
- We should keep bicycle access and safety at front of mind. All areas should be accessible for cyclists. And, there should be secure bike parking at all residential units and bike parking readily available at commercial establishments.
- Baby Boomers want to ensure that they aren’t being forgotten when the county works to draw the young professional demographic. Prioritizing accessibility and well-integrated residential and commercial areas that balance all users will make this the most friendly place for all.
- Focusing on and advocating for as much green space as possible remains a priority. At the moment, White Flint neighborhood park is a real gem but we need to ensure that we build out spaces like Wall Park and the Civic Green, and support developers who are integrating green space into their redevelopment plans.
- One member suggested making as much of the White Flint district as smoke-free as possible, including sidewalks, parks, parking lots, grassy areas, bus stops, bus shelters, etc. The many benefits would include putting White Flint on the map as a healthy place to live/visit/work, widespread free publicity, a market niche, reduced litter, better aesthetics, etc.
- Keeping small and local businesses remain a priority for our community!
- Shading our sidewalks and installing benches to make them more friendly to those with limited mobility.
Many of these points are already part of the plan for a redeveloped White Flint, but it will take advocacy and attention to ensure that they’re executed timely and to their full potential. We’ll keep you posted as we learn of ways where your voice will make a difference!
Also, do you get our weekly updates? We send an email out every Thursday morning that recaps anything you might have missed during the previous week and highlights other important points! Either sign up on our homepage at www.WhiteFlint.org or, better yet, join! Just visit www.WhiteFlint.org/membership and have your voice heard!