Hello, Friends! Lindsay, here.
These past two years at the helm of Friends of White Flint have been an incredible opportunity to serve my community. As many of you know, in early September, I was offered a new position (effective in December) and will be transitioning out of this role. After six weeks of organizational strategizing (with a serious advocacy effort thrown in for good measure), the Board of Directors of Friends of White Flint is ready to proceed with seeking our new Executive Director. Please see the hiring announcement below. You may also click here to access a PDF of the announcement. We hope you’ll share it far and wide so that a great advocate will be found to carry on the important work of FoWF. Thank you for the opportunity to be your voice. White Flint is our future and I’m so excited for it!
Friends of White Flint (FoWF), a non-profit 501(c)(4) community organization, is seeking an Executive Director for our large, multi-faceted organization that works to ensure that the White Flint, Maryland Sector Plan is implemented as approved by the Montgomery County Council and to its fullest potential.
The Executive Director is a part-time contractor who provides:
- Coordination of both the internal activities of the FoWF Board of Directors and the external meetings of the general membership. Schedules meetings, creates agenda, advertises activities, obtains speakers and presentations for meetings.
- Advocacy on behalf of the Board in a variety of settings to ensure the implementation of the adopted White Flint Sector Plan. Includes, but is not limited to, participation in meetings and special events and interacting with a wide variety of community leaders, elected officials, and others. Reports back to the Board and general membership to establish positions.
- Public Relations by speaking with various media and writing articles on position points. The Executive Director is the public face of Friends of White Flint for media purposes.
- Monitoring of the redevelopment plans, both private and public, to ensure they align with the organization’s priorities. Must remain up-to-date on trends in New Urbanism to help educate the community and ensure that FoWF remains an authoritative resource on both the White Flint sector and smart growth, in general.
- Outreach by engaging the community at meetings and other events. Uses technology to reach members by maintaining the FoWF website, email list, and other social media. Regularly writes and posts blog articles and sends communications via email blasts.
- Development: Works to continue building the organization’s membership base and coordinate fundraising efforts.
- Administration: Maintains membership and financial records, as well as other various administrative duties. Ensures that FoWF’s activities remain in compliance with its non-profit status.
- Other duties as required.
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree required
- Ability to work with and lead a diverse organization
- Must have excellent communications skills (written and verbal)
- Knowledge of community-based organizations and non-profit operational guidelines preferred
- Preferred candidate would either live in the White Flint general sector plan area or be otherwise familiar with the sector plan’s development.
About Friends of White Flint
For the last six years, Friends of White Flint has been dedicated to implementing the White Flint Sector Plan as approved by the Montgomery County Council and overwhelmingly supported by the community. A community non-profit, we represent a broad diversity of backgrounds and interests. Representatives of residential communities, business interests and landowners all participate in Friends of White Flint and all members are valued equally. Friends of White Flint attempts to carry on the successful positive, but sensitive, consensus-building approach used to create the Sector Plan. Learn more at www.whiteflint.org
If interested, please e-mail a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by November 6, 2014.