The Planning Department will be installing the Pike District Connector the week of September 13, with a kickoff event on Saturday, September 18 (details below)! The Connector will remain in place through late fall.
- Wayfinding: They’re installing temporary pavement stickers and signage to promote the Pike District Connector, Josiah Henson Museum & Park, and nearby destinations (see below). Stickers will be placed at regular intervals along the one-mile corridor, and between Wall Local Park and the Josiah Henson Museum & Park (to direct visitors parking at Wall Park to the museum). The stickers and signage will include QR codes linking to the project’s interactive webmap.
- Activations: They’re enlivening Wall Local Park with a pollinator garden and temporary seating and hammocks.
- Artwork: They’re partnering with two local artists to design temporary sidewalk murals at Wall Local Park and the Bethesda Trolley Trail entrance at Edson Lane.
- Kickoff Events:
- Community Bike Ride with the Washington Area Bicyclist Association (10 am, Bethesda Metro Station): Starting at the Bethesda Metro Station (Wisconsin Avenue entrance), join Montgomery Planning staff and WABA for a six-mile bike ride that will follow the Bethesda Trolley Trail, traverse the Pike District Connector, and conclude at Wall Local Park for the Pike District Connector Kickoff.
- Pike District Connector Kickoff (11 am, Wall Local Park): Check out the temporary activation and artwork installed at Wall Local Park as part of the Pike District Connector and interact with staff from the Josiah Henson Museum & Park!
- Interactive webmap: https://mcatlas.org/pikeconnector
- Register to volunteer: https://montgomeryplanning.org/events/pike-district-connector-launch-week/
- Pike District Connector overview: https://montgomeryplanning.org/planning/communities/midcounty/white-flint/advancing-the-pike-district/pike-district-connector/