Comments Off on History of Rock Creek Park
Rock Creek Park is one of the closest major parks near the White Flint Sector. Kevin Kline offers some history of Rock Creek Park, from information supplied by Friends of Rock Creek:
Rock Creek Natural History
· The Rock Creek Watershed is home to a surprisingly diverse assortment of wildlife.
· The nature enthusiast will discover 160 bird species ranging in size from the Blue Heron that fishes in Rock Creek to the butterfly-like Warblers.… Read More
Comments Off on Green Infrastructure Plan
Kevin Kline offers a proposal for a “Green Infrastructure Plan” for the White Flint area. Hat tips to MoCo Civic Federation and Friends of Rock Creek:
Green Infrastructure Master Plan Goals:
- Identify the existing and desired contiguous network of natural areas of countywide significance;
- Identify and recommend effective mechanisms to preserve, protect, enhance, and restore the network;
- Support the desired development pattern identified in the county’s General Plan and facilitate smart growth;
- Complement, guide and enhance existing plans, programs, and environmental guidelines for development
- Realize forest protection goals;
- Provide a planning tool to help improve water quality;
- Increase the potential for state funding of open space preservation;
- Streamline environmental protection recommendations for community master plans; and,
- Facilitate a more streamlined and environmentally effective review and mitigation process for all public and private development projects
A Green Infrastructure Functional Master Plan will:
… Read More
- Provide a policy guide for development and zoning decisions;
Enable planners to consider important natural resources when reviewing development applications, transportation plans, and park acquisition; and,
Help guide smart growth
Comments Off on Homeless in the White Flint Area
Many people consider White Flint a high-income area, but as Kevin Kline reports from the Randolph Civic Association meeting, there are those who are less fortunate:
WHITE FLINT HOMELESS
Park Police Officer Sergeant Waters attended an RCA Exec meeting (3.5.09) and elaborated on homeless living in our area. The largest homeless encampment he has ever seen was just north of RCA-land, in the woods of Parklawn Park & Parklawn (Memorial Park) cemetery. … Read More
Comments Off on 3/11/09 Gazette Article
F of WF Board of Directors Evan Goldman and Ken Hurdle were quoted in the 3/11/09 Montgomery County Gazette. Please take time to read the article titled ” Developers propose new White Flint zoning Plan”. The articles title is a little misleading in that the developers collaborative is not proposing a new zoning plan but an adjustment to the planning staffs opinions that takes walking habits and transportation options more into account. … Read More
Comments Off on Monday Trip Generation Roundup!
It’s Monday morning and time to log my weekly trips! It looks like I am part of a larger trend. See the article below from today’s Washington Post about increased usage of mass transit.
Monday March 2nd – Sunday March 8th
10 trips for the 7 days.
6 by metro and walking
1 by foot only
1 long car trip to Wintergreen, Virginia to teach my daughter to ski!… Read More
Comments Off on More on Parks
Earlier I posted a draft presentation on parks and recreation in the White Flint Sector Plan Public Hearing Draft. After additional research and suggestions from commenters off-list, I have revised and expanded the presentation. The new draft, for example, asks the Board not only to connect public facilities within the White Flint Sector to those outside, but also asks to have unused road right-of-way (left over from the construction of the new Montrose Parkway) used as one of the connected parks.… Read More
Comments Off on April 9 Work Session Postponed
Montgomery Planning Board Chairman Royce Hanson has postponed the Board work session on the White Flint Sector Plan which had been scheduled for April 9. Hanson acted after receiving a letter from all members of the White Flint Steering Committee noting that the hearing would fall on the morning after Passover evening.… Read More
Comments Off on Future Plans for Friends of White Flint
The Board of Directors of Friends of White Flint met on March 5, following the meeting of the Montgomery County Planning Board. Among other things, the Board discussed future plans for FoWF activities.
Under these plans, FoWF will expand and improve its offerings on the Web, providing more space for studies, research, and other documents related to the White Flint planning process.… Read More
Comments Off on New Board of Directors Member: Mike Smith
The Board of Directors of Friends of White Flint is pleased to announce that another member has joined the Board: Mike Smith, a property owners’ representative from LCOR. Mike has been an active member of the White Flint Steering Committee.
Barnaby Zall… Read More
Comments Off on Individual Development Proposals to the Planning Board
Live blogging from March 5, 2009, Montgomery County Planning Board meeting. Live streaming video is available at www.montgomeryplanning.org.
Presentations by individual property owners and developers of their proposals for how their properties might develop under the proposed White Flint Sector Plan.
Cmsnr Robinson: what is unique in this Sector Plan is that property owners have banded together and figured out what they intend to do.… Read More